The Table Bay Rovers run an annual Map Reader Scoutcraft Badge course on behalf of the CW12 District , open to Scouts of all ages (and adult leaders who would like to learn the basics too).
Skills covered include using a compass, reading and orientating a map, how to interpret a map and turn those confusing lines into a real idea of the landscape, how to find yourself on a map and the rules you’ll need to know to safely plan a patrol hike.
There are 2 days on the course – a learning day and a test day. During this time you’ll be given a coursework book that you can use to make note of your lessons learned and you’ll take home a map that you’ll use to complete some challenges.
The important details for you:
- Course date: Sat TBA, register 09h30 for 10h00. Closing at 15h00.
- Test date: Sat TBA, register 09h30 for 10h00. Closing & awards at 13h00.
Venue: Table Bay Rover Den, 2 Graaff Ave, Milnerton & surrounds
Cost: R120 per Scout, R60 per adult leader.
- Self-catering lunch. Microwave and basic kitchen facilities are available.
- Snacks and refreshments will be made available.
What to bring:
- Completed parent consent form (for both dates)
- Pens, pencil, ruler, calculator, protractor (360 degree if possible), set square, 1m of cotton or string, clipboard
- Please draw a quick sketch map of your house or bedroom on paper and bring this to Day 1.
- (Optional) Your own compass.
- (Not optional) Enthusiasm
How do you register?
Step 1: Email your full name, troop and age to firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 2: Pay a course registration fee of R120. This can be paid via EFT of cash when registering on Day 1. EFT details below.
Step 3: Get ready to navigate!
I’m a Scouter/Adult Leader and would like to attend the course to learn about mapping:
Scouters and adult leaders may attend Day 1 of the course and take part in the learning. The same registration info that applies to the Scouts applies to you, but you will pay R60 as you are only attending Day 1.
If you have any queries, please contact the Course Leader at email@example.com